NAME: ONWUKA, GREGORY IKECHUKWU
State Of Origin: Enugu
Present Post: Professor
Previous Post: Associate Professor
Marital Status: Married
Office Address: Department Of Food Science & Technology, College of Applied Food Sciences and Tourism, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike, Umuahia P.M.B. 7267,Abia State, Nigeria.
Primary School: Abakpa Nike Primary School, Enugu
Secondary School: National Grammar School Nike, Enugu
University/ Other Higher Institutions Attended: University of Nigeria, Nsukka
Academic Qualifications with Dates:
1992-1997 Ph.D. Food Science & Technology University Of Nigeria, Nsukka
1989-1991 M. Sc. Food Science & Technology University Of Nigeria, Nsukka
1982-1987 B.Sc. Food Science & Technology University Of Nigeria, Nsukka
1971-1976 School Leaving Certificate
1991: Scholarship Award by Nigerian Government for Postgraduate Studies
2005: International Scholarship award by Israeli Government, MASHAV
2008: Visiting Scientist and lecturer to the Department of Food and Cereal Science, North Dakota State University, United States of America
2008: Academic research funding by the Abia State Government.
EMPLOYMENT, TEACHING & ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCES
Full Employment History with Dates:
1988-1989 Chemist Zaki Bottling Company Nig. Limited, Wurno, Sokoto State
1994 Full-time Lecturer, Department of Food Science and Technology, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike.
Teaching History with Dates:
1992 Part –Time Lecturer, Department of Food Science and Technology, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
1994 Full-time Lecturer, Department of Food Science and Technology, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike
2002 Part –Time Lecturer, Department of Food Science and Technology, Abia State University, Umuahia Campus
2008 Guest Lecturer Department of Food and Cereal Science, North Dakota State University US
Administrative Experience within & outside the University:
2013 -2016 Member, University Council, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike
2010 – 2014, 2017-Date: Dean College of Applied Food Sciences and Tourism, MOUAU
2006-2007 Head of Department, Food Science and Technology, MOUAU
1991 Manager Ocean Perch Smoked Fish Ventures, Nsukka, Nigeria
1987 Chemist, Zaki Bottling Co.Nig. Ltd. Sokoto, Nigeria
2001 – Date Pastor, The Redeemed Christian Church of God
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
Dissertations and Thesis:
M.Sc.: Aqueous extraction, characterization and refining of palm (Elaeis guineensis) kernel oil.
PHD.: Toxicological studies of hemagglutinin in raw and processed soybean and mucuna bean (Mucuna cochichinensis) and growth response of catfish (Clarias gariepinus) fed their diets.
1. Orieke, C. O., Onwuka, G. I., Ezembu, E. N. (2017). Evaluation of the Functional and Pasting Properties of Composite FARO 44 rice- Cassava (TMS 8082) Flour Meals. The International Journal Of Science & Technoledge 5 (4) : 125-132.
2. Iwe M.O., Michael N., Madu N.E., Obasi N.E., Onwuka G.I., Nwabueze T.U. and Onuh J.O. (2017) Physicochemical and Pasting Properties High Quality Cassava Flour and Wheat Flour Blends (HQCF). Agrotechnology 6 (3) : 2-8.
3. Iwe M.O., Michael N., Madu N.E., Obasi N.E., Onwuka G.I., Nwabueze T.U., Onuh J.O. and Asumugha V.U. (2017)Production and Evaluation of Bread Made from High Quality Cassava Flour (HQCF)and Wheat Flour Blends. Agrotechnology 6: 166. doi: 10.4172/2168-9881.1000166
4. Chima A. Egedigwe, Chukwunonso E.C.C. Ejike, Ifeoma I. Ijeh1, Udo Herbert, Onwuka G.I., and Victoria U. Asumugha (2016). Anti-obesity potentials of aqueous and methanol extracts of Vernonia amygdalina del. leaves in high-fat diet fed rats. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. (2016) 13(2):86-93
5. Onwuka G.I, Clifford H. and Onuegbu N.C. (2013) The Evaluation of the Extraction Efficiencies of Different Solvent Mixtures And Extraction Procedures on the Phenolics in African Pear (Dacryodes Edulis) IJBPAS 2(5): 1010-1023
6. Uhiara, N.S and Onwuka, Greg (2014) Suitability of Protein-Rich Extract from Okra Seed for Formulation of Ready to Use Therapeutic Foods (RUTF) Niger. Food J 2014;32(1):105-9.
7. Ohuoba, A. N., Onwuka, G. I. and Nwaogu, E. N.1 (2014) Evaluation of Alcohol Production Potentials of Selected Cassava Genotypes. International Journal of Applied Research and Technology 3( 4) : 93 – 98.
8. Ikpeama, Ahamefula, Onwuka, G. I. and Nwankwo, Chibuzo (2014) Nutritional Composition of Tumeric (Curcuma longa) and its Antimicrobial Properties. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research 5( 10) : 1085-1089.
9. Onwuka G.I., Obasi N.E.1, Clifford H. and Ihediwah V.C.1 (2015) Development of extraction protocol for phenolic compounds in musk tree seed (Buchholzia coriacea). Sky Journal of Food Science 4(4): 050 – 05
10. Ezembu, E. N., Onwuka, G. I (2014) smoking on the storage life and nutritional quality of cat, croaker and sardine fishes. American Journal of International Contemporary Scientific Research 2 (4):12-27.
11. Onuegbu N.C, Onwuka G.I, And Clifford H. (2013) Development of Extraction Protocol for Phenolic Compounds in African Pear Seed (Dacryodes Edulis) IJBPAS 2(5): 1044-1056
12. Ezeocha V.C, Ojimelukwe, P.C. and Onwuka G.I. (2012) Effect of cooking on the nutritional and phytochemical components of trifoliate yam (Dioscorea dumetorum) Global Advanced Research Journal of Biochemistry and Bioinformatics Vol. 1(2), pp. 026-030.
13. Ezeocha V.C. and Onwuka G.I. (2010) Effect of processing methods on the physico-chemical and nutritional quality of maize and soyabean based complementary blends. Nigeria Food Journal Vol 28, No 2
14. Igwe E.C. Ojimelukwe P.C. and Onwuka G.I. (2011) Effects of Processing Conditions on the quality of Kindirmo made from whole Cow Milk and Cow–Soymilk Mixtures – I International Journal of Current Research 3( 11) :011-018.
15. Igwe E.C. Ojimelukwe P.C. and Onwuka G.I. (2011) Effects of Processing Conditions on the quality of Kindirmo made from whole Cow Milk and Cow–Soymilk Mixtures – II International Journal of Current Research 3( 11) :024-029.
16. AkaerueB.I. Onwuka G.I. and James O.G. (2010) Evaluation of the Bacterial Status of Water Samples at Umudike Abia State. Nigeria International Journal of Agriculture and Food Systems. Vol 4, No 2
17. Akaerue B.I and Onwuka GI (2010). Evaluation of the yield, protein content and functional properties of Mung bean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek] protein isolates as affected by processing. Pak. J. Nutr. 9(8): 728- 735
18. Onwuka G. I Akaerue B.I. and A Ofoeze A. (2010) Comparative evaluation of instant fufu flours produced from yam, cassava, rice/cassava blends and maize/cassava blends. Nigerian Food Journal Vol 28, No 2
19. Akaerue, B.I. and Onwuka, G.I. (2013) The Proximate Composition, Physical Qualities, Sensory Attributes and Microbial Load of Mungbean Biscuits as Affected by Processing Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering and Applied Sciences (JETEAS) 4(2):250-257.
21. Ojinnaka M.C. and Onwuka G.I. (2011). Organoleptic Assessment of the Performance of Some Cultivars of Ipomoea batatas in the Development of Selected Snack Products. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 10: 935-939.
22. Onwuka G.I. and Opara H.O.(2006). Evaluation of the effect of chemical treatment and soaking on the cooking time of African yam bean seed(Sphenostylis stenocarpa) . Bio – Research 4(1): 10-13.
23. Onwuka G.I. and Edeh N.M. (2006). Evaluation of the effectiveness of some processing methods in the preservation of tomatoes. Journal of Food Technology 4(4) :294-298. www.medwellonline.net .Pakistan
24. Onwuka G.I. and Nwokorie S.O.(2006) Comparative studies on the winning potentials of black tamarind,local grapefruit and exotic apple. Journal of Food Technology 4(4) :350-353. www.medwellonline.net .
25. Onwuka G.I. and Akaerue B.I. (2006). Evaluation of the quality of palm oil produced by different methods of processing. Research Journal of Biological Sciences 1(1-4): 16-19. www.medwellonline.net
26. Onwuka G.I. and Ihuma C. (2007).Physico-Chemical composion and product behaviour of flours and chips from two yam sp.(Dioscorea rotundata and Dioscorea alata). Research Journal of Applied Sciences 2(1): 35-38. www.medwellonline.net
27. Onwuka G.I. and Uka S.A. (2006). The effect of processing on some of the antinutritional factors of African yam bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa) seeds. Bio-Research 5 (2) .
28. Onwuka G.I. and Ogbogu N.J.(7007). Effect of Fermentation on the quality and physicochemical properties of cassava varieties NR7212 and Nwangbisi. Journal of Food Technology 5 (3) :261 – 264.
29. Ubbor S.C. Akobundu E.N.T. and Onwuka G.I. (2006). Functional properties and cyanide content of starch and flour of selected cassava( Manihot esculenta Crantz) Mosaic disease(CMD) Resistant Varieties. Journal of Raw Materials Research 3(2): 4-15.
30. G.I. Onwuka and U. Osuoji (2009) production of ice cream and mayonnaise using local and conventional hydrocolloids (In Press).
31. Onwuka G.I. and Onwuka N.D.(2005) The effect of ripening on the functional properties of plantain and plantain based cake .International Journal of Food Properties 8 : 347-353.USA
32. Onwuka G.I. (2006) Soaking, boiling and antinutritional factors in pigeon peas (Cajanus cajan) and cowpeas (Vigna unguiculata). Journal of Food Processing and Preservation 30 :616-630. www.blackwellpublishing.com/jfpp USA
33. Udensi E.A., Onwuka G.I. and Onyekwere C. R. (2005) Effect of autoclaving and boiling on some antinutritional factors in Mucuna slonie. Nigerian Food Journal Vol. 23: 53-58.
34. Onwuka G.I., Nwokocha, H.N. and Asumugha, U.V.(2002) Performance of New Varieties of sweet Potato (Ipomea batata) in Composite Flour Bread.J. Appl.Chem. & Agric. Res. 8:79-83.
35. Udensi E.A., Onwuka G.I. and Okoli E. G. (2003) Effect of Processing on the level of Some antinutritional factors in Mucuna utilis. Plant Prod. Res. J. 8(1): 1-6.
36. Onwuka G. I. , Nwabara C. C., Nwokedi P. M, Echendu C. A., Asumugha . U. and Igboekwe M . U.(2002) Comparative Studies of the Efficacy of Sun Drying, Solar Dryer and Hot Air Oven in the Preservation of Tomatoes, Okra, Pepper and Onion.Nigerian Food Journal 20: 10-14.
37. Onwuka G.I., Ownuka, N.D. and Mgbemka B.O. (1990). Weight Gain, Mortality and Normalized Biomass Index of Catfish Fed Soybean and Mucuna Cochinchineasis.Paper accepted by the Nigerian Journal of Agricultural Technology.
38. Onwuka G.I. and Onwuka N.D. (1999) Efficacy of Palm Kernel Oil Extraction Methods Journal of Sustainable Agriculture and the Environment 2 (1): 123 – 127.
39. Ojewola G.S. and Onwuka G.I. (2001) Evaluation of organoleptic Properties of Suya Produced from various sources of Meat. Nigerian Journal of Animal Production. 28:1(24-26).
40. Onwuka, G.I., Nwokocha, H.N., and Asumugha, U.V. (2000). Evaluation of the Performance of Some Sweet Potato in Bread Making. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture and the Environment 2 (1): 123 – 127.
41. Onwuka G.I., Ngoddy, P.O. and Ihekoronye A.I. (1995). The performance of the flours of sorghum, maize, cassava and their blends with wheat in bread baking Journal of Innovations in Life Sciences 2:62 – 69.
42. Onwuka G.I.,Udensi E.A. and Azubike(2002). Potentials of Cocoyam in bakery and Chips production.Journal of Sustainable Agriculture and the Environment, 4 ( 1) : 64-69.
43. Onwuka G.I. and Ebereonwu O. (2004). Effect of chemical preservation, pasteurization and refrigeration on the stability of kunu zaki. Journal of the Science of Agriculture, Food Technology and the Environment Vol 4: 111-114
44. Onwuka N.D., Nwajiobi E.N and Onwuka G.I. (1998). Effects of some chemical preservatives and packaging materials on the shelf life of Cola nitida. NJTE Vol. 15, No. 1.
45. Onwuka G.I. and Onwuka,N.D. (1995).Comparative studies of quality characteristics of palm kernel oil extracted by aqueous, traditional and chemical methods. Journal of Innovations in Life Sciences, 2:17 – 22.
1. Onwuka, G.I., Onwuka, N.D. and Nwajiobi, E.M. (1998). Studies on the Shelf-life Characteristics of Kolanuts (Cola acuminata) stored in Glass bottles, Tin Cans and Thermosetting plastics. Proceedings of the 22nd Annual Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST) Conference held at Abeokuta 23rd – 26th November 1998.
2. Onwuka, G.I. and Egbujor, G.C. (1998). Evalution of Peanut Butter, Treated with local spices: Implication for investment. Proceedings of the 13th Annual Conference of Farm Management Association of Nigeria (FAMAN) held at the Federal University of Agriculture, Umudike: 12th – 15th October 1997.
3. Onwuka, G.I. Onwuka, N.D., and Obi O, (1999). Dehydration Characteristics and Compositional Changes of Plantain (Musa paradissiaca) at Different Levels of Ripening. Proceedings of the 23rd Annual NIFST Conference held at RMRDC, Abuja, 25th –27th October 1999.
4. Onwuka, G.I., Onwuka, N.D. and Neburagho, W.O. (1999). Some Physical and Chemical Properties of Rubber Seed Oil (Hevea brasiliensis). Proceedings of the 23rd Annual Conference of NIFST, held at RMRDC, Abuja, 25th –27th October 1999.
5. Udensi, A.E., Onwuka, G.I., and Eze, A.I. (1999). Effect of Blanching and Drying Temperature on the Functional Properties of Bambara Groundnut (Voandzeia subterranae). Proceedings of the 23rd Annual Conference NIFST, held at RMRDC, Abuja, 25th – 27th October 1999.
6. Onwuka, G.I. (2000). Evaluation of the Baking Potentials of Soybean, Corn and Mucuna Cochinchinensis in Composite Bread. Proceedings: 24th Annual NIFST Conference20th – 24th November, 2000. Bauchi, (pp 213 – 214).
7. Onwuka G.I. and Omire G.C. (2001) Effect of different Treatments on the Shelf-life of Sobo Drink. Proceedings of the 25th Annual NIFST Conference, held at Lagos, Nigeria, November, 5-9,2001(pp 124125).
8. Onwuka G.I. and Omire G.C. (2001) Studies on the Shelf-life of Soymilk Treated with Different Preservatives. Proceedings of the 25th Annual NIFST Conference, held at Lagos, Nigeria, November, 5-9,2001(pp 126-127).
9. Onwuka G.I. Nwokocha G.U. and Asumugha G.N. (2002) Evaluation of processing methods for the production of Ginger. Proceedings of 26th Annual NIFST Conference, 4th –8th November, 2002, Owerri.
10. Ogbogu N.J. and onwuka G.I. (2006). Kinetics of degradation of hydrogen cyanide in cassava products. Proceedings of 30th Annual NIFST Conference,23rd –27th October, 2006, Lagos.
11. Akaerue B.I., Onwuka G.I. and James O. G. (2006).Physico- Chemical analysis of different water samples from Umudike and its environs. Proceedings of 30th Annual NIFST Conference,23rd –27th October, 2006, Lagos.
12. Atuonwu A.C ., Onwuka G.I. and Agunanne A.I. (2009). Quality assessment of three tropical fruit juices as affected by different preservation methods. Proceedings of the 33rd Annual NIFST Conference, held at Yola, Nigeria, October, 12-16, 2009(pp 248-249).
13. Onwuka G.I. and Onwuka N.D. and Mgbemka B.O. (1998). Effects of some processing methods on detoxifying haemagglutinin in soybean and Mucuna cochinensis. Proceedings of the Silver Anniversary Conference of NSAP. March 21 – 26, 1998, Nigeria Paper No. 211.
Books and Book Chapters
14. Onwuka G.I.(2005) Food Analysis and Instrumentation –Theory and Practice,
Naphthali Prints, Lagos, Nigeria.
15. Onwuka.G.I. (2014) Food Science and Technology. Naphthali Prints, Lagos, Nigeria.
16. Onwuka G.I.(2006) Michael Okpara University of agriculture, Umudike Extension Delivery – Yesterday and Today. Technical Report Presented to the University Community on the 19th July, 2006.
17. Onwuka G.I. (2008) EVALUATION OF THE INHIBITORY POTENTIALS OF Buchholzia coriacea ON Stophilus zeamais IN STORED GRAINS . Paper presented to the School of Food Systems, North Nakota State University October 22nd 2008.
18. Onwuka G.I.(2005) Debittering of Citrus Juices. Technical Report Presented at the 6th International Post Graduate Course in Food Technology held at Hebrew University, Rihovot Campus, Israel, September, 2005.
19. Onwuka G.I. (2009) Improvement Of The Nutritional Quality Of Processed Roots And Tubers . Paper presented at the Nigerian Institute of Food Science(Nifst) Day Celebration at NRCRI, Umudike, June 5, 2009.
University of Nigeria, Nsukka
Federal University of Technology Owerri
Eboyi State Univerity, Abakaliki
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife
Chairmanship/Membership of Boards
Member University Council, MOUAU
Chairman Post Accreditation committee for College of Natural Sciences
Chairman Post Accreditation Committee for Industrial Relations and Personnel Management Programme
Chairman Council Committee on the Screening of Senior Non-Teaching Staff
Chairman investigation panel on unwholesome activities and act of brutality against Mr. Chinedu
Nwokeke by Mr. Churchhill Chinonso Ekedo.
Member, Committee on the Review of Students’ Handbook
Graduate Students Supervision:
- Ph.D - 12
- Masters degree – 20
- PGD – 7
Mentorship of Staff: 16
Current Research Interest:
- Conversion of food wastes into useful and value added food products
-Packaging and preservation of local food products
Membership of Professional Bodies:
Fellow, Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology
Member, Institute of Food Technology, USA
Other Achievements and Dates:
Presentation of Inaugural Lecture, Title: Food Wastes in the Harness- The Cyclic Journey of Food Security, Better Nutrition and Good Nutrition.
I wish to affirm that the content of this Curriculum Vitae is correct to the best of my knowledge.